Thursday, September 22, 2005

The highlights of my summer intern


As my midsems are over and this post was pending for a long time so i thought why not relive those dreamy days before sleeping.
The story starts from the day and i landed at hyderabad university with my dad...I was still fresh even after journey of 12hrs(since travelling in AC keeps u fresh) and we landed in hyd at pretty awkward time 6 am ....but i didn't find any difference even after a span of 4 yrs in the humdrum and bustling of the city of nawabs.
We reached hyd central univ(HCU) at 8 and by 10 we managed to get the room in intl students hostel(with the help of pan-chewing pretty chinki!!) which was intl because 2 ujbeks,1 american(who was my neighbour) and some north-east ppl were living there.
hostel had a common room which was much better than any of our common rooms at iit though smaller and tv had a remote too....with a glass wall seperating the tt table with tv room ...so u can play tt and watch ur fav movies as well.
The most prominent thing about univ was that it was far bigger than even iit kharagpur and a huge population of ppl from north east.....
As u all know ppl from north east both guys and gals prefer to wear "cool hip" kinda clothes....so usually after work used to hang out at the common canteen where the atmosphere used to be just perfect for an ideal college.
Tried many things there like talking to unknown chinkis and chrcking out girls hostels pretending to be new students of univ who knew nothing.
Since some of my friends from other departments were also there in hyderabad so we followed a policy of living together for sight seeing on weekends....so the week schedule became 5 days work + campus masti....and weekends movie watching,sight seeing and bhatting with friens at NGRI.
We also managed to get find some gals from iit kgp and r to roam with us.
So weekends turned into fundays.....I also had my first taste of beer on such a funday....rajat was insisting me to go to a pub where loud music used to play but since i didn't like alcohol very much and i hate rock so there was no point in going to that place ......we managed to cover most of the places in hyderabad hitec,nift,charminar,saarjung,ramoji,imax,golconda fort,iiit,gachiowli stadium etc etc.
This was the party part.
But i followed my philosophy#2:"work hard party harder" and it paid me rich dividends too.I think those ppl who say that there is no work to do or peaceful work to do are more prone of getting bored and sleeping at work place.Also there is a sense of uncontentment that creeps in ones innerself,knowing that he is wasting his time.
My guide was a true gentleman and god of his field.You do a google search with Dr. Rajagopal Srinivasan and see how many resuls do u get!!
The guide was a perfect mix of science like chemistry and computer science....after all he was once a proff at john hopkins university.
imanaged to complete three projects in short time of 2 months and guide was particularly impressed with the speed of work.Though training was not paid initially but after seeing my demo which i gave in front of all bioinfo group,i could see in eyes of everyone there that i haven't let the name of IIT down.Right after demo guide took me for a surprise treat at pizza hut and also gave me news of coauthoring a paper in high impact factor journal(Proteins most prob.)....At leaving time i also put forward request of giving me the stipend after seeing the kind of work,and converted my training to paid.So i think i gained a lot as it opened new vistas in a new field for me-"bioinfo" and a paper in intl journal as well,even better than guys who have done foreign intern as they may have got some money and cold climate but i believe happiness is a state of mind and it has a meter associated with it,i think i very nearly reached to max level of satisfaction during my tenure as intern.
The last some days at intern were special to me as the work was completed 1 week b4 itself and when i asked for the 4th project to my guide, he looked into my eyes and said-"Do u still have some energy left?" and i smiled.
So last few days i stayed at hostel and roamed in university a bit more.At that time the ppl from the cold countries started to be visible on roads frequently.So i made a friend Matt on one fateful afternoon(he was from missuourie and was living in guest house).So he invited me to guest hosue and i reached guest house after dinner.....a us girl was smoking in front of guest house ....so i went upto her-"Do u know matt?"
"Yaa!he is up on terrace" ..."Thanks"....we parted.I reached on terrace and matt and jaques were having a beer ...they offered me a nd i drank a little.....and then till 11 we were talking abt differenece in cultures etc.......and then gals come ....sarah and jaimie join the discussion and discussion traverse thru boys,american boys vs asian boys,film stars,bollywood vs hollywood,fav movies,diff in education etc etc.At 4 am i bid a goodbye to them and went to sleep ......next night i again went meet matt but he was not there jaimie informed so i asked her for a stroll in campus and then we chatted and chatted and chatted .......i was amazed to know that they all had come here to do a linguistic course in hindi!by then i was seein lots of european gals also coming.....next day(my last but one day)we made a plan to watch a hindi movie but jacques matt turned out to be busy and sarah caught bed by stomach disorder so me and jainie carried on to watch 9-12 parineeta after an indian dinner at restaurent........
Next day i left and matt came to bid me a farewell to my room and gave me 1 dollar for a currency collection......i gave him a mouth freshner in lieu!!
I still talk to all of them on my msn and if i managed to go to us some time in future then will definitely meet all of them
So the summer intern ends here and those were the second most dreamy days in my short life till now...
Signing off
in optimistic mood
Ashish


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix