Saturday, August 13, 2005

EAST OR WEST-QT IS BEST

Last few days my poor soul has been very busy in searching an ideal c++ IDE which will make me able to develop platform independent appliation in C++....But more i mined the web the more disappoinetd i became.
The VC++ and so called MFC and win32 API all were windows oriented and how do i do application development for linux??The question bugged me hard and I somehow stumbled upon QT.
Now I had to tame this beast...Spent a lot of time in reading about it and to make sure that i was indeed following the right path!I was fortunate enough to unknowingly install QT on my linux and did some toy application development in linux and was quite ecstatic to see the results.Only 10 lines of code and i was seeing a piece of neat GUI application.
Now as mentioned on trolltech website that same code will run on windows with just a simple recompilation of same code on windows ....I was lured to do the experiment...But as windows QT is not free(infact 1500$ is cost).So i opted for rial version with a crack(I don't want it for 30 days only and also with full features ....GNU ppl give hopeless free version of QT windows).
After lot of path setting of MS.NET ,i was finally able to install QT successfully and genrate Makefile.
In aniticipation i ran 'make'
and alas it gave errors........I tried manty things in makefile but no fruitful effect....I got so frustrated that i again spet my two days learning VC++ and MFC....But somewhere down in my heart the flame of QT was still burning.
And on yestrday's destined night at 2am ....i got up suddenly out of my deep slumber to find Kshitizda's milk on my table....I drank it.....and the fairy of sleep vanished from the castle of my eyes.
I completed "the alchemist" in 1 hr but alas the sleep had left my eyes.So i again did some gooling on QT and witth renewed enthusiasm reinstalled it...set paths .....cracked it;-)....methodically........generated Makefile and then i noticed that MS.NET uses 'nmake' instead of 'make' and voila it worked!!!!
I kicked myself at missing such a minute detail...but joy of seeing the same piece of sourcecode working on linux and windows simultaneously...washed away all the frustration and I first time understood and realised that "Morning had arrived after long gloomy night signalled by chirping of birds".....And suddenly "the tide of the sleep of a satisfied man engulfed me".....Slept like a baby after that:-*
Rating for QT 9.5/10
Rating for MS.net(VC++) 8/10


Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix